Sunday, March 21, 2010

around the house

I'm so proud of how much we've gotten done around here lately! We've lived in our home for a few years now, and did most of the work when we moved in, but in the last couple of months, we've been more willing to tackle other little projects that we'd put off...

First up, we put a new ceiling fan in our dining room. For the record, I want to say that I HATE having a ceiling fan in our dining room, but Mr. M loves it, and it does help with air circulation in our house. SO I gave in, since we found one that was decent-looking. :) Next up, I've been trying for FOREVER to get him to agree to re-do our home office. Mr. M works from home about 60% of the time and had the room to himself. I had my desk in another room, and in anticipation of having a baby (HA!) I moved my desk out. That left my little laptop homeless, and me without a place to pay bills, etc. After some convincing, I got Mr. M to agree to re-do his office and allow me a small workstation in the corner. While getting the furniture set up, hilarity ensued, (maybe I'll share that story at some point...), but it's all set up now and we LOVE it. Then yesterday, on a bit of a whim, I got him to agree to put a new medicine cabinet up in our master bath. The one we had was tiny and ugly UGLY fake oak. When I went to take off a note I had taped to the frame, I found out the "oak" was paper. YUCK. 20 minutes later, we have a large, beveled mirror that covers most of the wall and provides TONS of storage. I hadn't seen the counter top in that bathroom in ages, and I'm thrilled with how clean it all looks now.

I would still love to: replace our counter tops in the kitchen, replace 3 windows, get a buffet for the living room, recover a chair, and put down new base boards, but we have to be realistic... We're only planning on living here for another year or two, so I hate to sink too much into the house. But with what we've done in the last month, this place is SO much more wonderful to live in. (It's the little things, right?) I would be thrilled if we could get everything else done around here... The problem we're running into is money. We have it, but we're hesitant to spend it because we were saving for a baby/are saving for fertility treatments/might have the opportunity for an investment soon that we would like to make. Lately we've found REALLY good deals, so that's helped, and I think we've both loosened up a bit about it... but still.

No comments:

Post a Comment